Friday, November 8, 2013

Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow

YESTERDAY started with unexpected tears.  This has happened a few times since I started selling & donating my belongings. These tears were brought on by seeing a picture of antique drop-leaf table that a friend bought from me last week.  She posted a picture of it in her home and when I saw it the tears just started to fall.  They didn't last long because I simply felt the feelings about letting go of something that I really enjoyed having in my home.  Then I went on with my day.  I am grateful to know that it went to a good home.
My table's new home.

Part of this process has been an awareness that I've defined myself by my things.  I didn't realize how much a part of who I think I am has been wrapped up in the furniture & items I've collected over the years to decorate my home.  Who am I without these things?

I've worked with many people over the years who struggle with letting go of anything.  The process usually involved asking them to tell me about the item.  Sometimes talking about what it means to them helps them let it go, especially if the object actually holds unpleasant memories for them.  I've also taken a lot of pictures of items that people still feel attached to but know they'll never use or display the item.  But, even without a picture, I assure them that they can keep their memories without holding on to the mementos. This was a good reminder for me today as I continue this journey.

TODAY dawned much brighter.  I'm worked with a woman in her 80s this morning to help her downsize because she's planning to leave her home of 20 years to Tennessee to be closer to her family.  I love working with "Golden Girls" and hearing their stories and helping them honor their family memories as they lighten their loads.   She did a great job today letting go of several bags full of old magazines and we got her dining room & kitchen tables cleared off too.  She now has a clean space in her kitchen to sort through her mail and a small "To Do" basket that she can carry with her to the living room when she needs a more comfortable seat to finish her action items.

I also spent some time with my son today.  He's 21 and has been living on his own for the last 2 years.  I had to bribe him with lunch in order to be granted an audience, but enjoyed watching a movie with him and visiting my "grand-kitty" Bella.  My son cleaned and his apartment last night after buying some new lamps.  He insists that he is nothing like me & that he's not "organizing", but I know better.  I knew he took after me when he was 2 years old.  I had been listening to him play in his room for a while and got curious about what he was doing.  He'd shut the door very dramatically (more proof that he's my son) about 20 minutes earlier and when I opened the door to see what he'd been up to, I discovered that he had moved all of his furniture (all lightweight plastic stuff at that time) to a new place.  It was all neatly arranged, just not the way it had been before he shut the door.  Like Mother, like Son!

TOMORROW is Saturday and will actually be a day off for me.  That just means I don't have a client session scheduled for tomorrow.  So, I'll have time to upgrade my website, edit Before & After photos, follow up with clients, work on a several marketing ideas for the month, complete some admin work for a virtual client, do laundry, vacuum, edit & upload more personal pictures to our family picture website, juice some veggies, do some batch cooking for the week, post some more of my stuff on Craigslist,  watch a movie, spend some time with a friend and since I don't have a set schedule for all of this stuff, take an afternoon nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment