Wednesday, November 27, 2013

grat-I-tude


I believe that the practice of writing a daily gratitude list for the last few years has changed the way my brain works.  My synapses seem to fire differently these days because finding things to be grateful for throughout the day has become second nature.  Sometimes my first thought is to say a prayer of gratitude instead of the old refrain, "Why me?".  


I've always pretty optimistic about life, but I remember a time when I thought God was a terrorist who looked for ways to punish me.  For some reason, I thought this punishment came through my car.  Whenever my car wouldn't start or broke down or I got a flat tire, my first thought was that I had done something wrong and this was how God decided to punish me.  I'm not sure where I got this idea since the loudest message I got growing up in a Methodist church was "Jesus loves me."  Somewhere along the line though that message morphed in to visions of hellfire & brimstone and the fear of going to Hell in a handbasket.

I was 22 when my son was born and my idea of gratitude at that time was that it was a duty and if  I wasn't grateful enough God would punish me or my son.  My life wasn't going according to my plans and I was really angry at the God I grew up with for not answering my prayers for a knight in shining armor and a home in Architectural Digest.  Even though my son's father was in our lives at that time, he had a habit of disappearing and even when we were together, I felt like a single mom.  

I had no real tools for living at this time in my life.  Surviving was the name of the game and it wasn't until a couple years after my son was born when I went back to college and found a spiritual program that the real gratitude found a home in my heart.  I started hearing about the idea of making a list of things I was grateful for and would occasionally make a list in a last ditch effort to stave off scary situations.  I also tried making a list when I needed money to cover an unexpected bill or wanted something special. 

Around this time a friend of mine created an online group where we could share gratitude with friends.  It sounded like a good idea and it wasn't long before making a list became a daily practice.  Some days are still harder than others to come up with 13 things for which I am especially grateful for today, but I always feel better after my list is complete and sent out into Gratitude Land.  I started out with an even dozen items on my list and now add an extra item on my list to make it a "Baker's Dozen".

What's really interesting to me is that now that I am letting go of most of my possessions, many of which have appeared on my gratitude list over the years, I feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for this opportunity to explore a new way of living my life - a life with less stuff & more adventures.  Isn't it ironic that having less makes me feel more grateful?

I no longer feel like I owe a debt of gratitude.  Today I feel like gratitude is my friend.  Sometimes I forget to call her and get stuck on my pity pot.  Fortunately, most days I remember to take her hand and count my blessings and we trudge the road to happy destiny together.  With that said, here's my list for today:

Today I am especially great-FULL for...

1.  abundant sunshine makes cold days better
2.  Creative Conference Calls
3.  a safe & reliable car
4.  a great mechanic who has saved me thousands of dollars over the years
5.  washer fluid
6.  simple preparations done for tomorrows lunch
7.  noticing that my the gratitude quote that I end my lists with is by the same person who wrote a different quote I posted on Facebook about gratitude
8.  my glasses - my contacts felt glued to my eyes earlier this evening
9.  hand lotion & lip balm
10.  hot showers & space heaters
11.  a safe & warm home
12.  getting to spend tomorrow (Thanksgiving) with family & friends
13.  practicing gratitude with all of you everyday

Namaste,
Shannon


"Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."  ~ Melody Beattie


No comments:

Post a Comment