Thursday, December 26, 2013

Juice. It's what's for dinner.

It's been a long week.  I missed all of the Christmas festivities because I came down with the flu on Monday.  To make things even more interesting Aunt Flo came to town yesterday and boy is she in a foul mood this month.  Nothing like being alone and sick during the holidays and a hormonal mess on top of it.  After some one-on-one time with my heating pad this morning, I started to feel human again and decided to go ahead with my plan to start my juice reboot today.  Since I'd already been detoxing for the last few days because of the flu, I thought there's no time like the present to radically simplify my diet - it also helped that it was sunny and 45 degrees outside today.

So, I made my way to The Natural Grocer & Trader Joe's and stocked up on what I'll need for the next 4-5 days.  It still seems strange to get excited about vegetables.  Today I bought what I thought was a beautiful bunch of kale.  The leaves were huge and I was excited to try this pretty new veg in a new recipe. The first sip nearly killed me.  The after shock of peppery harshness took my breath away.  I've made some less than tasty juices during the last few months but this one was in a class all by itself.  I thought maybe a dash of stevia powder would make the medicine go down but it didn't make any difference.  It's the first batch of juice I had to throw out and I went to check the tag from the bunch of "kale" to make sure I didn't buy that type again and discovered that I'd just juiced 8 gigantic leaves of MUSTARD GREENS!!!  All I could think was, "Col. Mustard, in the Kitchen, with the juicer."

Not to be dissuaded, I rinsed out the juicer and made a new batch of juice with my trusted fennel, baby spinach, carrots, apples & cucumbers (with lemon & ginger too!).   I'm having my last juice of the day and really haven't felt hungry much at all today.  I'll still keep trying new veggies and recipes but this was a good reminder to keep things simple (and read labels more carefully).

My food for the next 4-5 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment