Sunday, January 12, 2014

I Made it Through The Meal

Today is day 17 of my juice fast and I made it through the meal with my family today.  My brother asked me how the juicing was going before we sat down at the table and my niece asked me what was in my juice that I was drinking while they ate dinner.  I knew it wouldn't be as big a deal to them as it was to me.  After I wrote about it the other day and reasoned it out with a couple friends, I felt pretty comfortable this morning.  I just made my juice as usual and set the table for the meal.  When it was time to "eat" I sat down with my glass of juice and participated as I usually would in the conversation.

One of my friends suggested getting comfortable with the idea that I might be uncomfortable and they might be uncomfortable but the bottom line is that nobody ever died from being uncomfortable.  She also reminded me that it's not my job to make other people okay with me.  Our family meals are usually a little uncomfortable anyway, and my juicing didn't seem to make a difference one way or the other today - probably because I didn't make a big deal about it and had taken my friends advice.

While I was typing this post I kept hearing Barry Manilow singing "I Made It Through the Rain" in my head.  I'm sure my family didn't notice, but I feel like I accomplished something today and I because I was able to chase my fears away I made it through the day without feeling like I had to defend my point of view.   So, I'm going to keep dreaming and marching in my own parade.  I'm sure I'll hear Barry every step of the way now too.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment