Friday, January 10, 2014

The Elephant in the Room

It's been 15 days since I started my juice fast and I've lost 22lbs.  I feel more energetic than I have in years and my skin is clear and glowing.  I'm having fun experimenting with new juice combos and had decided to aim for 44 days (1 day for every year of my life) as a symbolic gesture for rebooting & redefining my relationship with food.

Despite this progress, I find myself fighting the urge to break my fast today.  Not because I'm hungry or ready to be done, but because my brother & his family are coming to lunch at my house on Sunday and I dread sitting through a meal with my green juice in hand rather than a fork & knife.  I also don't want to discuss or explain my fast to them.  My weight has always felt like the elephant in the room with my brother & sister-in-law.  If I don't talk about it then I can pretend like it's not there.  Not that he or she has ever said anything negative about my weight, I just feel uncomfortable sharing this part of my journey with them.  

You see, my brother inherited more genes from my Mom's side of the family.  He's tall with an average build.  He's also always been athletic and only recently, in his late 40s, had any issues with weight.  Last year he had some health issues and lost about 40lbs and as far as I know that's the extent of his issues with weight.  I, on the other hand, take after my Dad's side of the family.  I'm only 5'2" and like many of the women in his side of the family tend to gain and hold onto weight, especially in my stomach.  I've also always preferred reading to sports, which hasn't helped my struggle with my weight.  

I just don't think they understand my struggle with food and believe eating less & exercising more is a simple solution to losing weight.  So, I don't feel comfortable discussing my juicing with them over a meal I'm watching them eat, especially since my sister-in-law also is bringing her awesome guacamole.  If it wasn't our postponed Christmas Eve get together or my niece wasn't going back to college next week, I'd just postpone it until next month.  I am dedicated to this process though and know I'll figure out a way to muddle through the meal even if I decide not to sit at the table while they eat.  I'll keep you posted.






No comments:

Post a Comment