Saturday, February 1, 2014

Woman v. Television

Over the last few weeks I've found myself a little obsessed with the Travel Channel's show "Man v. Food".  For those who haven't seen it, the host Adam travels around the country and takes on food challenges set up by restaurants.  The challenges involve an extremely large portion of food that must be eaten in a certain amount of time.  The prize is usually a t-shirt and his picture on the wall.  

Having had only fresh vegetable & fruit juice during this time it might seem like I'm a glutton for punishment, but watching the show hasn't made me hungry it's just made me wonder even more about our society that so values thinness yet loves super sized meals and mega food challenges like this show.

I always love a good dichotomy and this one is a good one.  It seems like everyday there is a new diet or miracle cure for losing weight and I've tried quite a few of them over the years.  I've also noticed that there are a LOT of commercials for pizza and all you can eat buffets these days. Funny,  I never noticed that before I started my juice fast.  Maybe I'm just living vicariously through all of those skinny people on TV eating large portions of fast food.  I don't feel deprived watching them though.  I actually feel free from my all that processed food for the first time in my life and am still thoroughly enjoying my juice feast.

What this is really telling me is that I watch too much TV and am glad that I had already made the decision to leave my TV behind when I move to Santa Fe this spring.  It's time to start living more of my life and watching less "reality" television.

No comments:

Post a Comment