Thursday, March 20, 2014

Humble Gratitude

I posted this photo on my Facebook page today for Throw Back Thursday.  It was taken right before my son and I headed out for another road trip to Santa Fe in the spring of 2003.  I've been growing my hair out for the last year because I've always wanted to donate to Locks of Love, but this picture really made me want to cut my hair today.  The feeling passed & and I'm grateful for a really full head of hair, but I am looking forward to cutting it all off later this year.  

Today was also a really good day.  I've started selling more of my possessions on Craigslist again and my Mom's new apartment is almost ready for her to move into it next week.  My son started moving his stuff into my home (he's going to live here with a couple friends after I move) and he's having fun with some remodeling projects - the wet bar in the basement is the first major project.  I love the extra time I've had with him lately and look forward to living with him again for a little while before I leave town.

Today is also the first day of SPRING and the weather was lovely here in Omaha today, so I was in a good mood when I got home this afternoon and found a small envelope in my mailbox from a friend and who was also one of my organizing clients.  She moved out of state a few years ago, but I have many fond memories of helping her declutter and organize her home.  Her note expressed her gratitude for all of the "lessons & help with her house" and included a check for 'gas money' for my trip to Santa Fe.  I was stunned by her gesture and filled with gratitude.  I've had so much emotional support from my friends and family since I decided to follow my dream to move to Santa Fe.  That she went out of her way to thank me and support my decision in this way is priceless and humbling.  I learned as much from her during our friendship and continue to be inspired by her.  She is one of my mentors when it comes to following dreams and I she reminded me today that God has a plan for me and it is better than mine.  

I've always thought that winning the lottery would be a great solution to my financial struggles, but I know that I already won the lottery when it comes to friends. Not because I got a check from a friend today, but because of the love & emotional support I receive from all of my friends, near and far, every day.  Moving away from so many of my friends is one of the hardest parts about this journey, but I've watched several other brave women leave their comfort zones and move away from "home".  I've seen their courage and watched them build new homes away from home and I am reassured that I can do the same thing in Santa Fe.  I also know that all of my friends are only an email or phone call away and will continue to watch them grow and prosper through our shared Gratitude Lists.  So, today I am especially great-FULL for the gentle reminder that I am loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment