Saturday, October 19, 2013

Goodbye Norma Jean

Today was the first day of my "Radical Moving Sale" and despite the chilly weather we had a pretty good turn out.  I was so happy when a friend from high school bought a little bundle of my Paris memories, which included my Eiffel Tower lamp & a cute little placard from an ice cream shop that I picked up during our high school trip to France.  She & I went to Paris with our French Club after graduation so it's fitting that she chose these mementos.  I'm especially grateful that she took home an antique glass painting commemorating the signing of The Treaty of Versailles that belonged to my Grandmother.



I'm still looking for a buyer for my Marilyn print though & I've been hearing Elton John singing "Goodbye Norma Jean" from Candle in the Wind all day. I'm not having trouble letting this print go and will always have fond memories of buying when I was in college.  I've always loved black and white photography and this was my first venture in buying photography as fine art.  While my love of photography hasn't changed over the years, this process of "unadorning" my life is making me take a good look at who I am today & helping me define who I want to be tomorrow.

It makes me wonder how Marilyn felt when she left Norma Jean behind for her new life in Hollywood, and how I'm going to feel about when I've actually left my life behind here in Omaha and have settled in Santa Fe.  This journey is certainly taking me outside ALL of my comfort zones and since they say, "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone", I'm sure wonderful surprises and amazing adventures await me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment