Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Photographic Memories

I'm having a BIG sale in a couple weeks to jump start this clearing process.  So, I've spent the last few days taking pictures down from my walls and out of frames as part of this journey to radical simplicity.   Some of these were easy because I'm so ready for a fresh start and being able to scan the photos and save them on my computer makes this process much easier.  I always tell my clients to take a picture of something that they want to remember but doesn't fit in their home or life.  I picture's worth a 1,000 square feet!

I am keeping about 6 small pictures in frames to display in my new home and 3 or 4 to hang on the wall, although I'm still debating a couple of those.  My Grandparent's framed wedding photo from 1919 with the domed glass is a keeper, but almost all of the photographs that now hang on my walls have been scanned & the frames are ready to sell. 

And then I found this crazy, LIFE-SIZE senior picture on a shelf and she's definitely not making the trip with me.  Although it might be fun to prop her up in the backseat and see how people react!

I have a friend who has a large scanner so I can save it as a digital memory along with the few pieces of larger artwork I've saved from when my son was little.  What surprised about this particular photo is my reluctance to throw in the trash.  I don't have any emotional attachment to it - she's way to serious for me - but there's something about the fact that it is mounted on nice, thick mat board that makes me hesitate.  Believe me, I've thrown away plenty of pictures after scanning them, so this really surprised me.  Maybe it's just my background in photography or picture framing and know the energy and work that went into this one that makes it difficult. 

The feelings that came up with getting rid of this photograph is part of the motivation to write this blog.  I know so many people struggle with letting go of things and by sharing my thoughts, feelings & suggestions during this process I hope to inspire others to face their own feelings about their stuff and embark on their own journey toward simplicity.

Because I was struggling with letting go of this photo, I decided to talk to a friend about it and she suggested burning it. That sounded like a good idea to me and I think it will be a great symbolic gesture in this clearing process. I'm sure I'll come across a few other things to burn with it like old bills, taxes, etc. that I won't mind throwing in the fire at all.  I'm feeling better about it already.



No comments:

Post a Comment