Sunday, October 13, 2013

Imagine No Possesions

I've been hearing John Lennon's "Imagine" in my head for the last few days.  I always loved that song and the video, especially the way Yoko Ono smiles at him at the end.  That smile seemed to show that love was their most valuable possession.

As for me, I spent most of my life imagining more possessions - more furniture, more art, more square footage to house it all.  I collected Architectural Digest magazines for several years and even hauled 3 boxes of those suckers around for several moves in my early 20s.  I imagined my house on those pages. 

Now, instead of decorating my life, I'm undecorating it.  My pictures & artwork have all been removed from my walls and have colorful stickers on them for the garage sale.  I feel an incredible sense of freedom at this time and the possibilities seem wide open now.  Less definitely seems like more today.

I did have to take a little break today though from getting my stuff ready for the sale.  I had a bit of an emotional hangover this morning from all the feelings & memories this process is bringing up.  I'm sure part of that resulted from spending some time last night cleaning up my Grandmother's old console radio.  I had a flashbacks of dusting its wooden scrolls as a child.  Less stuff means less stuff to dust though and I won't miss dusting all those nooks and crannies.

I'm beginning to realize how much space my stuff has taken up in my head.  Getting it all moved into the garage seems to have helped me detach from it.  I once read that "everything in every drawer takes up space in our heads".  Now that I only have a few drawers with very few things in them, there seems to be space for new thoughts and dreams now and I'm excited about those possibilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment