Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Memories Not Mementos

My grandmother gave me this ceramic bank when I was five.  I know he's really ugly, but I love him anyway.  He's had a special place on my  bookshelves over the years and currently has the honor of being a door stop in my office.  I even found a little over $8 in change in him today.  So, he's earned his keep.

At some point I wrote my name on the bottom just like Andy did on Woody in Toy Story.  Somehow putting my name on him made him mine. And now that the time has come to let him go, his garish, blue eyes seem to be begging me to keep him. 

I'm not sure anyone else would love him the way I do & feel like I should bury him in the back yard instead of selling him in a yard sale.  Taking a picture definitely helps with letting him go, and this twelve-inch, splotchy, ceramic dog with glitter on his ears will always have a place in my heart even if he no longer has a place in my home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment